Balle

Balle

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

He broke

I had to give myself a week before I documented Ivan's unfortunate event, so that I wouldn't be overly and unnecessarily emotional about it. As if the broken collarbone wasn't enough to worry about, we got to have a little accident with Ivan too.


A week ago the boys ran smack into each other. Jack's head just meets Ivan's mouth and BAM, his big, hard head caved in Ivan's teeth. Talk about a nightmare. I know there are far worse things that happen and I don't mean to make a big deal out of it, but it was pretty much the worst night of our life. We saw them hit and I knew it was in the mouth and so I thought Jack was going to have a big chunk out of his head. Just the opposite. Mike picked up Ivan and mentioned blood so I thought he'd have a little cut in his mouth or something, but I about threw up when Mike opened his mouth. It immediately swelled up and there was a lot of blood and it was all purple and it looked like the left side of his face/mouth was so far caved in he looked deformed. I thought for sure it would be permanent. Our neighbor is an orthodontist so we had him come look at it just to make sure we didn't need to do anything about it that night (it was about 8:30). 


Ivan cried until he fell asleep. It's amazing how much pain you feel when you think your kids are in pain. We couldn't stand the thought of the injury, but even more so, we couldn't stand the thought of our little Ivan in pain. We wondered how the night would go, luckily Ivan slept the whole night. I slept a bit, but Mike laid awake next to Ivan all night.


By the next morning it actually looked a TON better. This picture makes it look like no big deal. He seemed good in the morning. Didn't seem to be in pain. As we loaded in the van he made mention of all the "popcorn" coming out on the tree's. Very proud of him for noticing at such a time. I couldn't think about anything else besides his mouth.


Now you see them....


 Now you don't!


It really isn't a big deal and it happens all the time to kids, but I'll be honest, it's been a very sad week, not for Ivan, but for me and Mike. I was more physically sick about it the night it happened, but couldn't feel anything else until we knew what could be done about it. I finally broke down after we left the dentists office. They pulled the 2 front teeth and we just have to wait and watch the other tooth. When we got in the car Ivan started to cry, "I want my teeth back in." Mike and I both cried for about 2 days after that moment. I know, I know, it's not that big of deal and it could be worse, but there was still this sense of loss. Even though it's just teeth, it was still a part of him and that was gone now. It surprisingly makes him a little different, kinda like we lost our old little Ivan and have this new little Ivan. That sounds really, really strange I know. I can't quite explain it, not that we love him any different, it's just kind of an end to one time of life and things seem different. I also think it seemed like a big deal because of the way it looked that night. I can't get that image out of my head. When you look at him now it's just 2 teeth gone, no biggy, but when I look I see that mental picture of the way it looked the night it happened.


ANYWAY, he's been really good about it and I do think he looks cute. His s's have turned to "etheth."  I heard him talking to the baby after and he was going to give her a kiss. He said, "Maybell, you need some kitheth?" then he repeated the word "kisses" a couple more times like he was noticing he couldn't quite say it right and then he looked at her and said, "well, my kitheth are kinda weird right now." 


We love our sweet boy and I love Mike even more. It's been nice to bond with him over the past week in a way we really haven't. He's such a great guy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh darn. I know the feeling, Nate slipped on the tennis court 2 summers ago and came up crying and had two broken front teeth. Unfortunately they are his permanent teeth, thank goodness the dentists can rebuild them. He's had to have them redone twice already. Sick feeling when I saw that sight for sure!

    ReplyDelete